Super easy and quick butter chicken recipe that is creamy and full of authentic flavor! There is no need for you to stand in line at the Indian restaurant waiting to get a table anymore.
Happy New Year to my happy eating friends!!! How are you? Can you guys believe that it’s already 2018?!!! My goodness, time just flew by! I wish every one of you tons of happiness and great eating this year.
As I promised last year, I am so very excited to share this super easy and quick butter chicken recipe. Many of my friends asked for this recipe and I have been meaning to share this post for a while. But do you know how hard and challenging it is to not dig in right away and take pictures of this deliciousness when the smell of this butter chicken is so intoxicating? Oh, you will totally understand once you make this dish. Let’s get started. Shall we?
If you ever tried my original butter chicken recipe, you will absolutely LOVE this recipe because it’s so much faster and easier to make. You first need to cook the chicken with lots of spices and you are pretty much dumping all the other ingredients and it is ready for you to enjoy.
Instead of making tandoori style chicken separately, my goal was to season the chicken with plenty spices to reduce the cooking time.
I served my super easy and quick butter chicken with rice and fresh naan. You really can’t go wrong with serving your banging butter chicken with fresh warm naan. If you are interested in making naan from scratch, check out “Homemade Naan” recipe by Gimme Some Oven. The only thing I did differently is I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 2.5 cups of all purpose flour instead of what the recipe says. I am not going to lie to you. It surely is extra work and trouble to make your own naan but it is so much better than the stuff that you pick up at the grocery store. Plus, it makes a killer pizza crust if you have any leftover. That is, of course, if you have ANY leftovers.
My super easy and quick butter chicken dish is not only perfect for weeknight meal but also great for small dinner party. If you’d like to make this already amazing butter chicken extra special to make it look “restaurant quality”, drizzle some heavy cream over the sauce and sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro. If you have been following my blog, you know how I feel about (and how much I hate) cilantro. So what you see in the pictures is chopped parsley 😉
So there it is, guys. You no longer need to stand in line at your favorite Indian restaurant to get butter chicken anymore. You are welcome, haha. Happy eating!
Super Easy and Quick Butter Chicken
Recipe Type: Main
- 1.5~2lb chicken thighs, cut into big chunks
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dried Fenugreek leaves
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- n a large non-stick skillet, add the chicken thighs and turn on the heat to medium.
- On top of chicken, sprinkle 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon of garam masala. Stir to mix and cook until the surface of chicken chunks are no longer pink and slightly browned.
- Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
- On the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and cook the onion until they are translucent. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, and garam masala to cooked onion and stir until everything smells fragrant (about 30 seconds to a minute).
- Add the chicken back into the skillet.
- Add tomato sauce, honey, and dried fenugreek leave to the mixture.
- Lower the heat and place a lid on the skillet and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream to the mixture until everything is heated through. Enjoy with cooked rice and/or naan.