Vegetarian Thai basil fried rice (without Tofu)
Vegetarian Thai basil fried rice - A simple and quick vegetarian and vegan-friendly Thai basil fried rice recipe! Spicy and fragrant fried rice that's perfect for your weeknight meal!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir fried
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Vegan
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
For Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice, at least a day old
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5-7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red Thai peppers, minced (optional)
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Thai basil
- In a small bowl, mix everything for the sauce and set it aside.
- Prepare all of your vegetables. I dice my bell pepper first, then onion, and red Thai pepper/chili. I also rinse the Thai basil in cold water and dry it with a paper towel. Pick the leaves and tear them into bite sizes if the leaves are too big.
- In a large non-stick pan, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add minced garlic and Thai red pepper/chili. Cook with frequent stirring until the garlic turns to light brown color. If you are adding Thai pepper, it will smell smoky and spicy. It may make you cough, but we are adding a lot of ingredients that will balance the spiciness.
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook for a minute or two with frequent stirring.
- Add the rice and pour the sauce on top. Stir until everything is well mixed.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the heat and add the Thai basil. Mix one last time until the Thai basil is slightly wilted and mixed into the rice.
Keywords: Vegetarian thai basil fried rice