Easy Pizza Dough Recipe without a Stand Mixer (with active dry yeast)
Easy pizza dough recipe without stand mixer – 5 ingredients (water, sugar, active dry yeast, flour & salt) + 1 hour – fancy stand mixer = Perfectly delicious and easy pizza dough!
- Prep Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 large pizzas 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Knead
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast ( or 1 packet of active dried yeast) (See note)
- 4 and 1/2 cups (packed) all-purpose flour (See note below)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Dissolve the sugar in lukewarm water. Once the sugar is all dissolved, add the dry active yeast to water and let it bloom for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the salt and 3 cups of packed flour in a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir to mix with either a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. Slowly add in the rest of the flour. Use the rubber spatula/wooden spoon to mix as much as you can.
- Once it gets difficult to mix using a rubber spatula, use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together, about 10 to 15 minutes. The surface of the dough should be smooth and when you pull the dough, it should stretch without ripping.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and add the extra virgin olive oil. Place the dough back into the bowl. Roll the dough in a bowl so it is completely coated with the oil. Make sure to coat the side of the bowl as well.
- Loosely cover the bowl and let it rise until it doubles its size (it takes me about an hour).
- One packet of active dried yeast equals 2 and 1/2 teaspoons. However, if you have a bag of yeast as I do, you can just measure 1 tablespoon.
- Packing flour is an incorrect way to measure flour. And I do not recommend measuring flour like this in other recipes. However, this method works in THIS pizza dough recipe.
- Please refer to the “How to store pizza dough” section above for storing information.
Keywords: easy pizza dough recipe without a stand mixer, pizza dough, easy pizza dough, pizza dough by hand, pizza dough without stand mixer