Vegan Clear Broth Udon Noodle Soup (without Miso)
Vegan clear broth udon noodle soup (without miso) – A perfect noodle soup with umami-rich broth, a hint of sea flavor, and chewy noodles!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main course
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Diet: Vegan
- 6 cups of water
- 7 to 8 pieces of kombu (each piece is about 2 x 3 inches)
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Yondu (if you don’t have it, use soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- Salt to taste
- 3 servings of fresh or frozen udon noodles
- 1/2 cup sturdy vegetable of your choice (such as broccoli and bok choy)
- Seasoned fried tofu pouches (Inari Age) (optional, for topping)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Shichimi togarashi (optional, for garnish)
- Place water, kombu, dried shiitake mushroom, and onion in a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup. Season with Yondu, soy sauce, and mirin.
- If you want to cook the noodles in the broth, bring the broth to a boil and add the noodles. Cook the noodle according to its package instruction.
- If you want to cook the noodles separately from the broth, add the cook noodles to the bowl. Bring the broth to a boil and season with salt. Add the hot broth to the cooked noodles.
- Add the toppings of your choice to the noodles and garnish with green onion and shichimi togarashi (if using).
- Please refer to the cooking tip section above to see if you want to cook the noodles directly in the broth or not.
- You can read more about the Udon noodle section above for different types and purchasing information.
Keywords: vegan clear broth udon noodle soup without miso, clear broth udon soup, udon, udon noodle, noodle soup