Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup - a soup that is creamy, velvety, subtly sweet, and savory! Perfect for fall dinner or crowd-pleasing appetizer.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: serve 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil and blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cut butternut squash in half (lengthwise) and take out/scoop out the seeds and inner membrane. You can additionally cut it in half lengthwise to shorten the roasting time.
- Drizzle olive oil on cut sides of butternut squash so the surface is coated with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash in the oven and bake for about 1.5 hours or until the meat of the squash is tender. Let it cool so that it will be easier to scoop out the meat of the squash.
- While the squash is cooling, heat a large-size heavy pot in medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent.
- Once the onion is translucent, stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook for another minute.
- Add the peeled and diced apple and the cooled butternut squash to the pot.
- Continue to cook by stirring the mixture to break up any big chunks. Cook them until the fiber of the squash breaks down further. The mixture should resemble chunky apple sauce.
- Once the mixture feels soft, stir in 2 cups of water and the vegan chicken flavor seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Place a lid and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until very smooth. you may also use a high-speed blender.
- Add the oat milk and stir to mix. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Garnish the soup with a drizzle of oat milk, vegan sour cream, or a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cutting butternut squash can be very difficult. That's why I roast them relatively big and scoop out the meat once they are soft rather than dice them in the beginning.
- Sauteing onion in coconut oil brings out the sweetness of the squash. You can hardly taste the coconut flavor in the soup. However, if you do not like coconut flavor, substitute it with olive oil.
- If you don't want to use the chicken flavor vegan seasoning, you are more than welcome to use vegetable stock/broth. I personally think this seasoning enhances the subtle but pleasant savory flavor of the soup.
Keywords: creamy vegan butternut squash soup, butternut squash soup, soup, vegan soup