Vegan Doenjang Jjigae (Korean soybean paste stew)
Vegan Doenjang Jjigae - Craving an umami-packed, authentic Korean flavor? This vegetarian/vegan version of Korean soybean paste stew will be sure to satisfy your craving!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Stew
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Korean
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons Korean Soybean paste
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Korean red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 block medium to firm tofu
- Mushroom (I use 1.5 ounces of enoki mushroom but you can substitute with 2 to 4 ounces of button mushroom)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño (or serrano pepper), sliced (optional)
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 green onion, chopped
- Cooked rice (for serving)
- In a small pot, bring 1 and a half cups of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of Korean soybean paste, minced garlic, and Korean red pepper flakes (optional).
- Add chopped tofu, onion, and mushroom. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño (optional), zucchini, and green onion to the stew and boil for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of rice.
- The original post was published on July 10, 2019, and was updated on July 21, 2021. The original post did not include mushrooms and the order of ingredients added to the stew has changed (the vegetables are added at last so that they won't be as soggy and the tofu is added earlier to soak up more flavor). However, both original and updated recipes capture the authentic flavor of the stew.
- If you are not a fan of spicy food, omit Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) and jalapeno.
- If you wish to keep the stew vegan but don't want to use tofu, you can use a small amount of potato (please read the section "how to make it without tofu" above for detailed instruction).
- The stew can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Although it can be frozen, it will change the texture of the vegetables and tofu.
- Please refer to the FAQ and helpful tip sections above for more information.
Keywords: Vegan Doenjang jjigae, Korean soybean paste stew, Korean bean paste soup, doenjang jjigae