Vegan Fish Stick Tacos – Easy and tasty tacos dinner that will wow both vegan and non-vegan! These tacos are made with fish sticks, cabbage slaws, guacamole, and fresh salsa! Find out how to make these delicious tacos vegetarian/vegan friendly here!
Tacos in general are great to have any time of the day and any time of the week. It’s such a festive meal that can easily be a party food on a weekend but easy and simple enough to whip up during a weeknight. And there are so many different types of tacos! There are beef tacos, chicken tacos, refried beans tacos, tofu tacos, cauliflower tacos, fish tacos and so many more!
When I first moved to LA, my husband and I fell in love with this fish taco place in El Segundo (Ensenada’s Surf N Turf Grill). Their Baja style tacos are absolutely delightful. One of the best I’ve had so far! But ever since I’ve become a vegetarian, I haven’t been able to enjoy fish tacos until…..I found out about Gardein’s fishless filets!
To be brutally honest, Gardein’s fishless filets do not taste like fish. What it does have is the breading that I’m familiar with fish filets/sticks and a somewhat meaty texture that can satisfy me. So far, this is the best vegan option for me to replicate the flavor of fish tacos.
For my omnivore husband, I baked some fish sticks alongside my vegan Gardein’s fishless filets. Using fish sticks for tacos is such a genius idea. It’s simple, inexpensive, cheap, and delicious! I LOVE to make a meal that caters to both my husband’s and my diet preference. I’m making everything else the same but simply baking two different “fish sticks”!
How to make fish stick tacos for both vegan and omnivore
- Corn tortillas – Although flour tortillas are studier “vessels” to pile on many toppings, I personally think corn tortillas taste so much better in fish tacos. I think the mild sweetness of the corn tortillas complements the flavor of the fish as well as the fresh slaws.
- Slaw – I am a huge fan of mayo-based slaw. The creaminess of the dressing with crunch cabbage is just so darn delicious! But when it comes to fish tacos, I prefer to have my slaw dressed with simple acid and some sweetness to cut through the heaviness of the fish sticks.
- Guacamole – There is something magical about having some creamy component in tacos that makes it extra tasty. Some use sour cream, some use cheese, some use creamy slaw. But I think there isn’t anything better than a big dollop of delicious guacamole on your tacos.
- Fresh salsa – I just publish a post on how to make this delicious Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa with Red Wine Vinegar a couple of days ago. This salsa is so vibrant, refreshing, and perfect in fish tacos.
- Fish sticks – You can use your favorite fish sticks of choice. For a vegan option, you can use a vegan version of fish sticks such as Gardein’s fishless filets.
In my humble opinion, we can always use more taco dinners in life. Whether you are a vegetarian or a vegan, don’t let that stop you from enjoying delicious fish tacos. You still CAN enjoy fish tacos if you use a vegan version of fish filets/sticks! If you are an omnivore, give your boring frozen fish sticks a make-over and enjoy them in fish tacos. Hope you enjoy these fish stick tacos as much as my husband and I enjoy them!
Happy eating, my friends!Print
Vegan “Fish” Stick tacos
Vegan “Fish” Stick tacos – Easy and tasty tacos dinner that will wow both vegan and non-vegan! These tacos are made with fish sticks, cabbage slaws, guacamole, and fresh salsa! Find out how to make these delicious tacos vegetarian/vegan friendly here!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- Category: Main course
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage (or green cabbage)
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small avocados or 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno, seeded
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 lime, juiced
For fish tacos:
- 8 frozen vegan fish sticks (I used Golden fishless filet from Gardein), cooked according to the package
- 8 corn tortillas
- Homemade fresh tomato salsa with red wine vinegar
- Bake the vegan fish sticks according to the package.
- While fish sticks are baking, prepare the slaw and guacamole. In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, agave nectar, salt, and pepper. Add in the cabbage, shredded carrot, and green onion (if using). Toss together until all the vegetables are coated with the dressing.
- In a medium-size bowl, mash the avocado with salt and lime juice. Once the avocado is mashed, add the minced garlic, onion, and jalapeno. Mix well until everything is well incorporated.
- Warm the tortillas
- Assemble the tacos. On a tortilla, place a spoonful of slaw, add a dollop of guacamole, and the vegan fish sticks. Top with homemade fresh tomato salsa.
- Enjoy right away.
- I highly recommend you serve the taco with my Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa (with red wine vinegar). The vibrant and refreshing flavor of the salsa is perfect for “fish” tacos.
Keywords: vegan fish stick taco, vegan tacos, tacos, vegan fish taco