Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa with red wine vinegar – healthy homemade salsa recipes made with fresh tomato, onion, jalapeno and red wine vinegar!
I remember the very first time I had salsa. It was Tostitos medium chunky salsa. I dipped my tortilla chip in salsa not knowing what to expect. When I first came to America, I honestly thought it was little odd that people eat chips with tomato. But boy, was I glad that I was introduced to this amazing condiment! Ever since then, I was hooked. The only thing I had to watch out for is salsa made with cilantro. I’m one of those very few people who think cilantro taste like dish soap. So no cilantro in my salsa, please!
As much as I like salsa, I never thought to make salsa myself. I know homemade is always better than store bought but it’s so easy and cheap to pick one off the shelves.
Then I was introduced to this salsa that didn’t taste anything like the ones I have before! A few years back, one of my very good friend’s mother invited my husband and I for dinner and she made this simple yet tasty salsa. It was so delicious and refreshing that I had to ask her for a recipe! She told me it simply is a mixture of tomato, minced onion, salt, and red wine vinegar!
Ever since the day that I had this salsa made with red wine vinegar, I started to make this salsa to serve with tacos, quesadilla and enchiladas. I find that this particular salsa is a far better side dish than any store bought salsa. The tangy flavor from the red wine vinegar just cuts through any heaviness of the beans or cheese.
How to make Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa with Red Wine Vinegar
- Salting the tomato (optional) – Although this step is optional, I think it’s worth the time. When you salt the tomato, it helps draw out the water from the tomato and make the salsa less water-y. Also, it seasons the tomato better, in my opinion.
- Mince the onion and jalapeno – When my friend’s mom made this salsa, she didn’t use jalapeno in the recipe. This is my little twist on the recipe. I seeded the jalapeno so it didn’t add too much heat and add additional color and crunch to the salsa
- Red wine vinegar – Traditionally, salsa is made with lime juice. But salsa made with red wine vinegar has its unique vibrancy and refreshing flavor that compliments many dishes so well.
- Season with salt – You are simply seasoning the salsa with salt and that’s it! This salsa is all about the tru original flavor from each ingredient. A little bit of salt is all you need to tie each flavor together.
On this upcoming Taco Tuesday, don’t forget to make my fresh homemade tomato salsa with red wine vinegar!
Happy eating ,my friends!Print
Tomato Salsa (Pico de Gallo) with red wine vinegar
Tomato Salsa (Pico de Gallo) with red wine vinegar – healthy homemade salsa recipes made with fresh tomato, onion, jalapeno and red wine vinegar!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 and 1/2 cup of salsa 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 Roman tomatoes, diced into small chunks
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Dice the Roman tomato into small chunks and transfer to a colander. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let it sit for 20 minutes (this process will help draw out water from the tomato).
- While the tomato is draining, mince the jalapeno and onion.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the tomato into a bowl and mix with minced onion and jalapeno.
- Add the red wine vinegar and mix until everything is well incorporated. Taste and add pinch of salt, if needed.
- Salting and draining the diced tomato is an optional step. Although this process help draws water out of the tomato and make less water-y salsa, you can skip this step if you don’t have time. You can simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl and serve right away.
Keywords: fresh homemade tomato salsa with red wine vinegar, homemade salsa, tomato salsa, salsa with red wine vinegar