Do you need a last-minute dinner that’s healthy, quick, and easy? Worry not!! My oven-baked quick and easy Swai fish recipe is here to rock your dinner! You are starting with frozen Swai fish fillet and they will be ready on your plate in less than 30 minutes.
After a long day at work, who has time to come home, thaw the fish, AND cook it for dinner? Not me!! Well, I am a vegetarian now but back when I had a corporate job, it was a struggle to find time to cook (despite my passion for cooking!). And this is how this recipe was born! My oven-baked swai fish is a quick, easy, and delicious way to take care of your dinner dilemma!
What this recipe works
- You don’t have to thaw the fish. This recipe starts with using frozen fish! There is no need to thaw the fish prior to cooking them in the oven. Just make sure the internal temperature of the fish is at least 145F.
- The seasoning of the recipe consists of pantry items – salt, pepper, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- This is a healthy way to enjoy the fish. There is no extra breading or excessive amount of butter in the recipe.
What is swai fish?
Swai fish is a neutral flavor, white-fleshed fish that has a good source of selenium, niacin, vitamin B12 depending on how it is raised.
Is swai fish healthy?
Swai fish itself is a healthy fish. However, how this fish was farmed raises lots of environmental and health concerns such as excessive usage of disinfectants, anti-parasitic, and antibiotics. I recommend purchasing a brand with eco-certification to minimize these concerns.
Can you use other types of fish?
YES!! Absolutely! These are the fish that will work for this recipe!
- Pacific cod
I’d say tilapia has the closest taste and texture to swai fish. It is a freshwater fish that is a lean source of protein, low in fat. However, tilapia has similar farming concerns as swai fish. I recommend purchasing tilapia from the U.S., Canada, or Netherland (avoid China).
I also would like to note that wild-caught fish is always better than farm-raised fish. And try to buy a fish with eco-certification brands.
How to cook swai fish in the oven
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare the seasoning for the fish. You can always customize your seasoning by adding or omitting the spices of your choice.
- Spray the fish with cooking spray so the seasoning will stick to the fish.
- Bake the fish for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Turn off the oven but leave the fish in the oven for 15 minutes so the fish continues to cook.
- You can always rinse your fish fillet under cold water, pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel before seasoning the fish.
- If your fish fillet is bigger than 4 ounces, increase the cooking time. For example, if your fish is 6 ounces, I recommend baking them in the oven for 14 to 16 minutes, turn off the oven, and leave in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can customize by adding different seasonings such as Old Bay or lemon and herb seasoning. You can also control the spice level by adding or omitting the red pepper flakes.
- The cooked fish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Craving a more healthy & quick seafood-inspired dinner?Print
Oven Baked Swai Fish Recipe (from frozen swai)
Easy, flavorful, and quick recipe perfect for a weeknight dinner! Start with frozen fish fillet and dinner will be ready in 30 minutes!
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Cook Time: 27 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 fish fillets 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 4 Swai fish fillets (4 ounces each, frozen)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I use Lawry’s low sodium seasoned salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients except fish and cooking spray.
- On a baking sheet covered with foil (for easy clean up), lay the frozen fish fillets.
- Spray the fish fillets with cooking spray. Spray it just enough so the seasoning will stick.
- Sprinkle half of the mixed seasoning on the fish.
- Flip the fish and coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with rest of the seasoning.
- Cook in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Fish is most likely opaque in color.
- Turn off the oven but leave the fish in the oven for 15 more minutes. This will ensure the fish will be cooked through so that it is completely opaque and flaky.
- You can rinse your fish fillet under cold water, pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel before seasoning the fish.
- If your fish fillet is bigger than 4 ounces, increase the cooking time.
- The cooked fish will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Keywords: Oven baked swai fish, swai fish recipe, swai, fish