Perfect Summer French Toast with Ricotta – Easy french toast made with baguette and topped with fresh fruits and sweet ricotta cheese! It’s the perfect summer brunch french toast that everyone will adore. This beautiful and delicious french toast will be a great start to your fourth of July celebration!
Raise your hand if you are a fan of french toast! Although I’m a savory breakfast person through and through, I cannot resist a good french toast once in a while. The reason why I don’t eat french toast often is that it’s too sweet for my taste. But I found out that if you pair your french toast with sweet ricotta cheese and fresh fruits instead of soaking it with syrup and powder sugar, you won’t have this problem!
After making my Mushroom Spinach White Pizza (which is a very popular post on my blog), I had some leftover ricotta cheese that I didn’t know what to do with. One night I was craving something sweet and decided to look for a recipe that uses ricotta cheese. And I found a cannoli dip recipe (I didn’t add cream cheese) my husband and I both enjoyed very much. While I was eating this delicious dip, I thought sweet ricotta cheese would be a perfect topping for a french toast and indeed it was!
Ingredients for the Perfect Summer French Toast with Ricotta:
- Baguette bread – The reason why I choose this bread is that it will hold its shape and withstand the egg mixture without being soggy. It creates a little chewy exterior while keeping the inside moist and yummy.
- Egg mixture – I used egg, soy milk (but you can use any milk of your choice), cinnamon (a classic ingredient in french toast), sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- Sweet ricotta cheese – It’s a mixture of ricotta cheese, powder sugar, and half of the lemon zest. Lemon zest is optional. I made it without before but the lemon zest certainly brings out the brightness of the fruits and I highly recommend it.
- Fresh fruits – I used blueberries and strawberries because the Fourth of July is right around the corner and using these two fruits makes my plate looking very patriotic. But you can use any fruits like apricot, peach, blackberry, and raspberry.
How to assemble Perfect Summer French Toast with Ricotta
- Cook the french toast according to the recipe.
- Make the sweet ricotta cheese. Transfer the ricotta mixture to the piping bag (or zip lock bag and make a small cut in the corner so you can use it as a piping bag).
- Rinse and prepare your fruits.
- Place a couple of pieces of french toast on a plate. Pipe the ricotta cheese mixture either on top or on the side of your french toast. Place/sprinkle as much fruit as you’d like.
- You can serve with maple syrup but the sweetness of the ricotta cheese and fruits was the right amount of sweetness for me!
Now doesn’t this plate look perfect for the start of your Fourth of July celebration? As matter of fact, perfect brunch for any summer day?!!
Happy eating, my friends!Print
French Toast with Sweet Ricotta and Fresh Fruits
French Toast with Sweet Ricotta and Fresh Fruits – Easy french toast made with baguette and topped with fresh fruits and sweet ricotta cheese! It’s the perfect summer brunch french toast that everyone will adore. This beautiful and delicious french toast will be a great start to your fourth of July celebration!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast/brunch
- Method: Pan frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
For sweet ricotta cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon zest (optional but highly recommended)
For French Toast
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Half of the baguette, cut into a 1-inch thickness
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Fresh strawberry
- Fresh blueberry
- Maple syrup (for serving, optional)
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon zest, if using. Transfer them into a piping bag or zip lock bag so you can use it as a piping bag. Set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, and sugar until everything is well incorporated.
- Coat the baguette in the egg mixture and let it soak for a couple of minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt about 1/2 tablespoon of butter on low-medium heat. Add the baguette that has been soaked in the egg mixture. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all the toasts are cooked.
- On a plate, place 2 to 3 pieces of french toasts. Add as much sweet ricotta cheese mixture and fresh fruits as you’d like. Drizzle with maple syrup (if using) and serve right away.
- The lemon zest in the sweet ricotta cheese mixture is optional but the zest brings out the brightness of the fruits so it’s highly recommended.
- You don’t have to use strawberry and blueberry for this recipe. I used these fruits for the upcoming Fourth of July celebration but you can use any fruits you’d like.
- This recipe serves 3 to 4 people. You can double the recipe for the larger crowd.
Keywords: perfect summer french toast with ricotta, sweet ricotta french toast, french toast, ricotta french toast, french toast brunch