A filling, protein-packed, and delicious breakfast quesadilla made with refried black beans and scrambled eggs!
A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about baleadas. Baleadas is a traditional Honduran dish. It consists of flour tortillas, filled with refried beans, crema, and cheese. My friend, who is originally from Honduras, told me he loves the one with scrambled eggs inside.
When he told me about the dish, I knew it is something my husband and I both will love! I've never actually had Baleadas. So I can't say how close my breakfast quesadilla is to authentic baleadas. But I certainly got my inspiration from the dish!
- Flour tortilla (I use burrito size)
- Black refried beans (I use black refried beans simply because my friend told me that is what they use in Honduras. But if you can't find black refried beans, you can use regular pinto refried beans. I've used them both and they were delicious)
- Scrambled egg
- Cheese (I use Mexican blend shredded cheese but you can use other cheese that you would use to make quesadilla)
- Sour cream and Guacamole (for serving)
Using the Tiktok Tortilla Hack to make breakfast Quesadilla
I'm really not the type to hype over a trend. But ever since I discovered the Tortilla Hack during quarantine, I've been using it to make quesadillas. But I like to do 3 fold instead of 4. When you use the 3 fold technique:
- It's easier to fold
- You have a bigger surface to fill your toppings
- You can have top and bottom layers as the cheese layer
Let me explain how I do the tortilla hack.
- Make a halfway cut on tortillas from the center to the outer edge.
- Gently fold the tortilla in 3 so you will have folding marks to guide you where to put the filling.
- On the first area (the left side from the cut), spread the refried bean evenly and add the scrambled egg on top.
- On the rest of the area, spread the cheese evenly.
- Lift the area with the bean and egg and fold it towards the second area. And fold once more to make the 3 layers.
When you fold your tortilla this way, you are left with a quesadilla that has the top and bottom layer as cheese. So when you cook them on the pan, the cheese will melt and hold everything together.
But if you like the "4 folding methods" better, spread your filling on the left side of the tortilla and use the right side to put the cheese. When you fold from the left bottom quadrant to the right, you will still end up with the top and bottom cheese layers.
Customization and toppings
- For omnivore - You are more than welcome to add your favorite breakfast protein in this quesadilla such as breakfast sausage or cooked bacon.
- For vegan - You can substitute scrambled egg with my scrambled tofu and use vegan butter and vegan cheese to make the dish vegan-friendly.
- Recommended toppings
- I like to serve this breakfast quesadilla with sour cream and guacamole. But I highly recommend serving the dish with sour cream. There is something very magical about creamy and tangy sour cream complementing the quesadilla.
- If you want to make the dish vegan, you can substitute sour cream with vegan sour cream, vegan yogurt, or guacamole.
Breakfast Quesadilla with Refried Beans & Eggs
A protein-packed and delicious breakfast quesadilla with refried black beans and scrambled eggs! Soon to be your family's favorite breakfast!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 quesadillas 1x
- Category: Breakfast/brunch
- Method: Pan fried
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 large burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 cup black refried beans (or regular refried beans)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 and ½ cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Sour cream, guacamole, and/or hot sauce, for serving
- On a large size non-stick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and scramble 3 eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Set the eggs aside. We will use the same pan to cook the quesadilla.
- Make a halfway cut on large flour tortillas from the center to the edge (cut a line from the center of the tortilla to the bottom edge). Gently fold the tortilla in 3 so it will leave folding marks to guide us where to put the fillings.
- On the first area (the left side from the cut), spread ⅓ cup of refried beans evenly. Add the scrambled egg on top. Press gently on the eggs so they will stick to the refried bean.
- On the rest of the area (⅔ of the tortilla), spread ½ cup of the cheese evenly.
- Lift the side with the beans and eggs and fold it towards the second area. And fold once more to make the 3 layers.
- Set it aside and repeat with the rest of the tortillas to make 3 quesadillas.
- Heat the pan with ⅓ tablespoon of butter on medium heat. Add the assembled quesadilla to the pan. Cook until it is golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook the other side for a couple more minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and/or hot sauce.
- If your tortilla is cold, it can crack and be difficult to fold. Microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds. This will make the tortilla easy to handle.
- Please follow the instructions and photos above (refer to the "Using the Tortilla Hack" section above) to assemble quesadillas.
- You can make this quesadilla ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Keywords: breakfast quesadilla with refried beans and eggs, breakfast quesadilla, quesadilla with refried beans and eggs