Learn how to slow roast cherry tomatoes in the oven – Don’t know what to do with excess cherry tomatoes from your garden? Looking for a delicious cherry tomato recipe? You’ve come to the right place! With only 4 ingredients, you can make this versatile, delicious, and easy recipe to transform your cherry tomatoes.
What to do with excess cherry tomatoes:
Do you have tomato plants at home and don’t know what to do with excess amount of cherry tomatoes? There are so many things you can do!
- Healthy snack – If you are like me, you can just have a bowlful of cherry tomatoes as a snack. It’s sweet and full of micronutrients that make a pretty perfect afternoon snack!
- Topping for your salad – This is pretty standard. During warm weather, a refreshing salad with tons of cherry tomatoes sounds like a winning meal!
- Roast them with other vegetables – When you roast the cherry tomatoes with other summer vegetables, the juice from the tomato coats the other vegetables with its deliciousness. If oven-roasted summer veggies pasta sounds like a dinner you will love, click here for the recipe 😉
- Slow roast them in olive oil – You can slow roast the cherry tomatoes in olive oil with garlic and herbs to create this amazing sauce! If this interests you, keep on reading!!!
How to slow roast cherry tomatoes?
You can easily slow roast cherry tomatoes in the oven at relatively low temperatures. This process renders the essence of tomato and garlic to be infused in the olive oil. In the end, you are left with this magical and delicious sauce/oil that you will want to eat everything with!
What ingredients do you need for the recipe?
- Cherry tomato – I used a pint of sweet cherry tomatoes and a pint of heirloom cherry tomatoes. You can also use grape tomatoes (they are slightly larger but will work as well for the recipe)
- Olive oil – I used extra virgin olive oil. I recommend using olive oil that you’d use for making your salad dressing!
- Salt – Using a little bit of salt in the recipe helps render the essence of cherry tomatoes and garlic into the oil.
- Garlic – I used whole garlic cloves that are peeled and smashed. Smashing the garlic cloves help to infuse the oil with delicious and fragrant garlic flavor.
How to use slow roasted cherry tomatoes
- Pasta – As you see in the picture above, I simply mixed the slow-roasted cherry tomatoes (plus plenty of oil) with some cooked pasta and you have yourself a dinner! I seasoned the pasta further with salt and pepper. And I promise you this is going to be the best tomato sauce ever! Another great tip is to have your pasta with the roasted cherry tomatoes and your favorite pesto. Everybody knows that tomato and basil are a match made in heaven!
- Topping for pizza – You can smear the roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves (using a fork) on top of the pizza dough to create your town pizza sauce. This version of the sauce will be light but concentrated in flavor!
- Crostini topping – If bread topped with garlic flavored roasted cherry tomato and delicious oil is not a perfect appetizer, I don’t know what is!
- Amazing bread dipping oil – I have an amazing bread dipping oil recipe (will be on the blog very soon!) that will make you famous among your friends forever! Fair warning – this bread dipping oil might make you eat the whole baguette in one sitting!
How to slow roast cherry tomatoes in the oven
Learn how to slow roast cherry tomatoes in the oven – With only 4 ingredients, you can make this versatile, delicious and easy recipe to transform your cherry tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 and 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: condiment
- Method: Roasting/baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (I used 6)
- 1 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In a baking dish, dump everything together and bake for 60 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the roasted tomatoes in the oven for additional 15-20 minutes (optional).
- You can add fresh or dried herbs of your choice to flavor this recipe further. You can use fresh thyme or basil.
- The salt is merely used to help release the juice and flavor from the tomatoes and garlic. So if you were to use this for other dishes like pasta, you need to season with more salt.
- If you half the batch, reduce the cooking time to 40-45 minutes.
- You can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- When refrigerated, the oil will harden and turns an opaque orange color. This is normal. You can let it come to room temperature and it will turn clear in color again.
Keywords: How to slow roast cherry tomatoes in the oven, slow roasted cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes