Tater tot breakfast hash (breakfast totchos) - Crispy air-fried tater tots meet creamy avocado and sweet caramelized onion, topped with a fried egg and drizzled with smoked paprika garlic aioli! I don't know about you, but this screams perfect brunch to me!
There is a small breakfast place called "Hash" near our place. They have amazing breakfast sandwiches, pancakes, and other classic breakfast dishes. But there is one dish that is called "Hash on Hash." This is my attempt at making a vegetarian version of "Hash on Hash" at home.
Hash on Hash vs. Tater tot Breakfast Hash (Breakfast totchos)
You might ask what is totchos? Totchos is tater tot nachos. Genius idea, right? This is not just an ordinary totchos but a breakfast version of it!
The original "Hash on hash" is "Smashed Tots, 2 Eggs Over-Easy, Choice of Protein, Cheese Roasted Tomatoes, Caramelized Onions, Red Peppers, and Garlic Aioli."
And this is how I re-created this dish:
- I air-fried the tater tots to achieve maximum crispiness
- Instead of adding typical breakfast protein and cheese roasted tomatoes, I added creamy avocado
- Swapping garlic aioli with smoked paprika garlic aioli for a kick
How to make smoked paprika garlic aioli
This magical sauce is a great addition. It provides a pleasant tang and a little kick to the dish. Despite its amazing flavor, it is super easy to make.
Mix together mayo, grated garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. And ta-da! You have yourself a delicious smoked paprika garlic aioli!
But here are some important tips:
- Use a fresh garlic clove and fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Grate the garlic clove using a microplate. Garlic powder and lemon juice from the bottle won't do them justice.
- Once you mix all the ingredients for the aioli, let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to develop the flavor.
- The aioli will keep in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Tips on making tater tot breakfast hash (breakfast totchos)
- Make your tater tots in the air fryer - I cook my tater tots in an air fryer at 400F for 12 minutes. A lot of recipes tell you to cook tater tots at 350F or 375F but I find that 400F gives me the most crispy texture!
- Make your smoked paprika garlic aioli first - This aioli is very simple to make but it needs some time in the fridge to develop its flavor. I recommend making the aioli first and proceed to make the hash. The aioli will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- This is a perfect opportunity to use up your caramelized onion! This delicious quick caramelized onion can be made in less than 20 minutes so don't forget to check out the recipe!
- Customize your breakfast hash:
- For vegan, skip the fried egg and use vegan mayo instead of regular mayo.
- For added protein, feel free to add your favorite breakfast sausage. There are many vegetarian and vegan options these days.
- Try a poached egg instead of a fried egg. The creamy yoke will add another layer of flavor and texture to this delicious breakfast hash!
This tater tot breakfast hash has become our favorite brunch and I bet it will become yours once you try it.Print
Tater Tot Breakfast Hash (Breakfast totchos)
Tater tot breakfast hash (breakfast totchos) - A perfect vegetarian brunch with crispy tater tots! A tasty brunch to start your weekend!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast/brunch
- Method: Air Fryer, Sauteed
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
For smoked paprika garlic aioli
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 clove garlic, grated using a micro grater
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For tater tot breakfast hash (breakfast totchos)
- Half bag of frozen tater tots (about 14 to 16 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup caramelized onion (see NOTE)
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper (half of a pepper), sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
For smoked paprika garlic aioli (Make this first)
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to develop its flavor. It should keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
For tater tot breakfast hash (breakfast totchos)
- Cook the tater tots in the air fryer at 400F for 12 minutes. Shake and continue to cook for additional 3 more minutes.
- While you are cooking tater tots, fry 2 eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Take the egg out of the pan once it is cooked to your liking.
- On the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and add the sliced red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes with frequent stirring. Set it aside.
- Once the tater tot is done, assemble the breakfast hash. Add the tater tots to the dish that you are serving. Add the caramelized onion and cooked pepper on top. Place the avocado and cooked egg on top. Drizzle with aioli.
- To develop the flavor of the aioli, I recommend making the aioli first and place it in the fridge and proceed to make the hash. The prepared aioli will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- I highly recommend adding the caramelized onion. However, if you don't have caramelized onion prepared or don't have time to make it, you can saute some onion slices with your bell pepper and add them to the hash. To learn how to slice onion, refer to this post.
- For more tips on making this breakfast hash, please read the section above.
Keywords: tater tot breakfast hash, breakfast totchos, totchos, breakfast hash, hash, tater tots
Leave a Reply