Korean Somen Noodle Salad with Soy Sauce – Super simple, easy, and refreshing somen noodle salad recipe that’s healthy (vegan friendly) and kids friendly (not spicy)!
Imagine having a bowl of delicious and refreshing salad that won’t make you hungry after 30 minutes. Wouldn’t that be nice? As the weather warms up, we tend to crave something fresh, flavorful, simple, and easy! Am I right? Well, my Korean somen noodle salad with soy sauce got your back (and hungry stomach!)
What is somen noodle?
If you are not familiar with somen noodles, no worries. Somen are thin wheat noodles that are very popular in East Asia. I grew up eating somen noodles. You can easily purchase them at your local Asian grocery store or order them on Amazon!
Any substitution for somen noodles?
Don’t want to go through all the trouble to get somen noodles? Well, then you will never find out how amazing this noodle salad is! Just kidding, you can actually use soba noodles for this recipe as well. I know for a fact that grocery stores these days carry soba noodles so you have no excuse not to make this!
How to make Korean somen noodle salad:
- Cook the somen noodles according to its package (see the tips on how to cook it in the section below).
- Make the sauce – mix together soy sauce, sugar, salt (optional), and sesame oil.
- Mix the noodles with the sauce and serve with different vegetables and other toppings.
Is it that simple? YES!!! You’d be pleasantly surprised how flavorful this dish despite its simple ingredient list! You just have to make it and see it for yourself!
Tips on making Korean somen noodle salad
- Cooking the somen noodles or soba noodles – When you are boiling your noodle, have a couple of ice cubes or cold water next to your pot. When the noodles look like it is about to boil over, drop a couple of ice cubes, or add a splash of cold water to the pot. This process helps your noodles to be more elastic and not get soggy later.
- Mixing the noodles – There is no better kitchen tool than your own hands! Use it! Mix the noodles with the sauce gently with your hand. I promise you this method is far better than using tongs. By the way, huge thanks to my hubby for being the model for the pictures above 🙂
- Toppings for the noodle salad – The noodle salad is delicious as is but adding fresh crunchy vegetables on top really takes it to the next level. The most common toppings in Korea are:
- My toppings – I used cucumber, carrot, red bell pepper, purple cabbage, and my teriyaki tofu. The addition of my teriyaki tofu not only added another textural component but also added protein to the dish so it will hold you up longer!
Be creative and add your favorite vegetables and really make this dish your go-to lunch option! I hope you enjoy it.
Happy eating, my friends!Print
Korean Somen Noodle Salad with Soy Sauce
Korean Somen Noodle Salad with Soy Sauce – Super simple, easy, and refreshing somen noodle salad recipe that’s healthy (vegan friendly) and kid-friendly (not spicy)!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2–3 1x
- Category: Noodle
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Korean
- Diet: Vegan
- Somen noodles, 7-8 ounces (or Soba noodles)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
- 1 – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional – if you are planning to serve with lots of vegetables)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Korean red pepper flakes (totally optional)
- Fresh vegetables such as cucumber, carrots, cabbage, and/or kimchi (for serving)
- Easy Teriyaki Tofu (for serving, optional but highly recommended)
- Cook the somen noodles according to its package. Please see the first tip above.
- Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the noodles and gently mix until all the noodles are coated with the sauce.
- Serve the noodle salad with fresh vegetables of your choice and teriyaki tofu or protein of your choice.
- If you can’t find somen noodles, you can use soba noodles. I made it with both noodles and they are equally delicious.
- Please see the first tips on cooking the somen noodles above.
- You can customize the noodle salad by adding your favorite vegetables and protein.
Keywords: Korean somen noodle salad with soy sauce, somen noodle salad, korean noodle salad, healthy noodle salad, noodle salad