Vegan Fish Sticks Sushi Bowl with Spicy Mayo – Tasty homemade sushi bowl recipe that’s easy and healthy. The crunch from vegan fish sticks, creamy avocado, crisp cucumber with sweet and spicy mayo on top makes this bowl a perfect sushi lunch! Find out how to make this delicious vegan-friendly sushi bowl here!
This recipe is inspired by a tempura roll that I used to love in my “meat-eating days”. The tempura roll that I used to order all the time was usually a deep-fried spicy tuna drizzled with delicious spicy mayo and eel sauce. This vegan fish sticks sushi bowl is a deconstructive vegan version of that tempura roll.
Ingredients in Vegan Fish Sticks Sushi Bowl with Spicy Mayo:
- Sushi rice – The cooked short-grain rice also known as sushi rice is seasoned with rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt. This seasoned sushi rice is the base of the bowl.
- Avocado and Cucumber – When the sushi rice meets avocado, cucumber, and seaweed paper, it gives you that magical flavor of the sushi that we all love and are familiar with. Avocado and cucumber are the “absolute must ingredients” in any sushi dish, in my humble opinion.
- Vegan fish sticks – I used Gardein’s Golden Fishless Filet. Whole Foods Market carries them in their frozen aisle.
- Spicy mayo – Spicy mayo is what ties all the ingredients together. I used vegan mayo, sriracha, and sweet chili sauce.
How to assemble Sushi Bowl
I recommend grabbing a large bowl to make your sushi bowl. It is not to fill the bowl with all the delicious ingredients (although it will be very tempting), but to give enough room at the end to be able to mix the sushi bowl to eat. Then you would place the seasoned sushi rice on the bottom of the bowl and add the rest of the ingredients on top. Drizzle however much the spicy mayo sauce you want and garnish with thinly sliced green onion and seaweed paper strips.
And voila, you have yourself a beautiful and delicious vegan fish sticks sushi bowl! This is such a perfect summer meal. It’s refreshing, light, vibrant, simple, and easy! I hope this sushi bowl brings you as much joy as it brought to my dinner table!
Happy eating, my friends!
If you like this vegan sushi bowl recipe, you will also enjoy:
- Hoisin Tofu Sushi Bowl (Vegan friendly)
- How to make Vegan Green Sushi at Home
- Vegan Sushi Rice Ball Sandwich (Vegan Onigirazu)
Vegan Fish Sticks Sushi Bowl with Spicy Mayo
Tasty homemade sushi bowl recipe that’s easy and healthy. The crunch from vegan fish sticks, creamy avocado, crisp cucumber with sweet and spicy mayo on top makes this bowl a perfect sushi lunch! Find out how to make this delicious vegan-friendly sushi bowl here!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main course
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice (short grain rice)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Spicy Mayo Sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 4 to 6 vegan fishless filets, cooked according to package (I used Gardein’s Golden Fishless Filet)
- 1/3 English cucumber, diced into small cubes
- 2 small avocados or 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 small green onion, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Bake the vegan fishless filets according to their package.
- While the fishless filets are baking, mix together apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the mixture to the cooked sushi rice. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together vegan mayo, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha. Set aside.
- Assemble the sushi bowl. Place the seasoned sushi rice in a bowl, about 1 and 1/2 cups. Add the diced cucumber, vegan fishless filets, and avocado. Drizzle with vegan spicy mayo sauce. Garnish with green onion.
- You should have more than enough spicy mayo for the bowl. Since the rice and the fishless filets are already seasoned, you probably won’t need a lot for the bowl. You can store the leftover sauce in the fridge for a couple of days.
- The preparation time includes the baking time of the fishless filets.
Keywords: vegan fish sticks sushi bowl with spicy mayo, vegan sushi bowl, vegan fish sticks, vegan buddha bowl, vegan poke bowl